The City Walls of Lagos
The city walls of Lagos by the sea near the Fortaleza are
one of the oldest portions of the old defenses. Constructed
during the Carthaginian or Roman periods, the walls were steadily
improved by the Moors and, later, Christian rulers.
Traveling to this astonishing place, you will notice the towers
guarding the gate of São Gonçalo and to the
North of the city, the wall that was extended in 1520 to protect
the burgeoning new sections of the city that resulted from
increased trade during the period of the Voyages of Discovery.
Praia da Ingrina e Zavial
The idyllic sand beaches of Praia do Zavial and Praia da Ingrina
lies in the heart of the "Costa Vicentina" Nature
Conservancy Area. A landscape of untouched Flora and Fauna
Anglers, on donkeys, come to the beaches each morning, while
shepherds graze their flocks on the surrounding grasslands
and sea eagles, falcons and other birds fly freely in the
Signs of pre-history with 3000-year-old stone dolmens provides
evidence to man's presence here at the far-western edge of
Europe since time immemorial, a mesmerizing fact.
Apart from the long stretch of sand beaches, the restaurants
offer traditional quality Portuguese fare, including excellent
fish dishes and savoring food. You can sunbathe under palms
beside a balmy sea.
Aljezur - Moorish Castle
The ruins of the castle of Aljezur, situated above the town
of Aljezur, is said to have been originally constructed by
the Moors, who were in power during the region of Aljezur
Its destruction of 1755.
The castle wall area comprised of two towers, one round and
one square, and included a covered cistern with a vaulted
Related to a fact, the "Fonte de Mentiras" - "Liar´s
spring" which lies below the castle, legends have it
say that the castle fell because a Moorish girl who was in
love with a Christian man betrayed her people. Thus, the castle
ruins still stand out as an important feature of this town
by the Moors.
Palace of Estoi
Built during the second half of the 19th century, this beautiful
palace is just 8 km away from Faro city. Considered as one
of the finest example of the Romantic architecture in the
Algarve, people can’t help but notice the marvelous
The palace is closed for restoration, but it is possible to
visit it from outside and take some beautiful photos. The
set has three levels: The upper with the palace and the front
gardens, the middle level with a larch fountain and the lower
level with the so-called 3 Graces, Venus and Diana makes the
place look classic.
Ruins of Milreu
7km from Faro, the plan of the ruins shows the characteristic
form of a Roman villa with courtyard surrounded by a gallery
of columns (peristyle). There are several rooms built around
this central area, some of them have beautiful mosaics, which
represent geometric and fish motives. At the west of the peristyle
there is a large Roman bath divided in several compartments
as "apoditerium" (changing-room) recognized as the
large room with contouring benches supported by ranges of
arches, "frigidarium" (cold bath), "caldarium"
(warm bath), tepiarium and laconicum (sauna).
Particularly outstanding, is the brick building situated at
the south side of the ruins, which was the water sanctuary
(nympheum) of late Roman period and was converted later into
a Christian Basilica. There are beautiful mosaics at the surrounding
walls near the staircase of the temple.